Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Knowledge

What knowledge have you connected with past knowledge?
Choosing to discuss three topics that I have become more familiar with and connected with my past knowledge, I would choose glycolysis, the citric acid cycle, and the function of enzymes. I am very much interested in nutrition and how the body metabolizes the different substances that are taken in. Simply from a diet standpoint, I've learnt how the size of proteins makes them harder to digest(over fats and carbohydrates) and how too much of anything is converted to fat, which is not what I wanted to read.
Through researching my biochemical connection topic I learnt so much about how the body stores and utilizes fat. A lot of that research involved the citric acid cycle and how it is a metabolic pathway involved in the chemical conversion of fats, carbs, and proteins into useable energy for the body. The roles of the citric acid cycle and glycolysis are huge within our bodies and as much as I took away from anatomy and physiology I took so much more out of this class. Enzymes are also a major topic that is discussed in most every science course I have taken here. My knowledge had been expended greatly and I feel more confident now advancing in my education as it is going to only get more involved from this point on as I learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment